It’s hard to beat the Louisiana heat; even the best air conditioner can’t keep up forever. There comes a point when it’s time to stop resuscitating an old, broken-down AC unit. Luckily, Tiger Temperature can help with reliable AC installation in Thibodaux. With over 15 years’ experience, our technicians will evaluate your unit and tell you honestly if it’s time for an AC replacement. Then, we will help you choose the best unit to fit your home and the needs of your family. If your air conditioning unit has been breaking down frequently and isn’t keeping your home cool as it should, we’re here to help.
Want to help extend the life of your unit. Keeping up with air conditioning maintenance is the best way to ensure the longevity and performance of your system.
Signs You Should Replace Your Air Conditioner
An air conditioning unit that has been cared for and maintained can last up to 15 years. However, the hot, humid summers that Thibodaux is famous can place a heavy burden on the average AC unit. Your air conditioner may not even make it to its tenth birthday.
But how will you know it’s time for an AC replacement? Here are five signs that it may be time to replace your air conditioner:
- Age: If your air conditioning unit is over 15 years old, it’s probably not too efficient.
- Not cooling properly: When the AC struggles to make a dent in the heat and humidity.
- Frequent power cycles: Turning on and off again too often.
- Frequent repairs: Repeated break-downs indicate your unit is on its last legs.
- Leaks or corrosion: If the unit is leaking, rusted, or has a lot of buildup, it may be best to replace it.
Benefits of AC Replacement
At first, AC replacement might seem like too large an investment. But there are many reasons why installing a new air conditioner will pay off overall. The benefits of an AC replacement include:
- Better all-around cooling: No more hotspots or frequent power cycles
- Less frequent repairs: No more expensive fixes, just routine maintenance
- Lower utility bills: Higher efficiency = more savings on the electric bill
- Quieter: Modern units are much quieter...you’ll hardly notice they’re there!
- Improved air quality: Lower humidity and less pollution
Choosing The Perfect Air Conditioner For You
All the information out there about air conditioning units can be overwhelming. Here are some of the basics you should know when shopping for a new AC unit:
- Size: What size AC you need will depend on how large your home is, but a good rule of thumb is one ton for every 400 square feet of living space. Other factors will be the climate, whether your home has a basement or attic, and how the ductwork is laid out.
- BTUs: BTU (British Thermal Unit) is a measurement of how much energy is required to remove heat from the air. Large spaces require more BTUs. For example, a home that is 1400 square feet should use a unit with 24000 BTUs.
- Airflow: Depending on the layout of your home and ductwork, your new air conditioner may need a lot of power to evenly distribute the cool air throughout the home. Your HVAC technician will be able to calculate this factor for you.
- SEER value: The SEER value is a measurement of energy efficiency, calculated using the cooling output divided by the energy input. Modern air conditioners are required to measure at least 13 SEER, but some go as high as 21. A higher SEER value means the unit is more energy-efficient, which equates to lower utility bills.
- Budget: An air conditioning replacement can be expensive, costing upwards of $5,000. But many air conditioning installation companies offer financing options and will work with you to find the unit best suited to your situation.
Of course, if your system still has some life left, we can help with AC repair service. Be sure to schedule an inspection today!
Trust Tiger Temperature
Our technicians at Tiger Temperature have over 15 years’ experience in the HVAC industry. We have been helping the residents of Thibodaux, LA with air conditioner maintenance, repairs, and AC installation for more than a decade. We are proud to offer our clients friendly customer service, prompt responses, honest diagnoses, upfront pricing, and expert workmanship.